What foods should include porridge for 5-month-old babies? Today we show you 4 useful recipes with which to complement breast milk.
If that is your case and you are a bit lost as to what to feed your baby, we will tell you what ingredients you can include in porridge for 5-month-old babies , as well as some recipes that can be very useful.
Although the WHO (World Health Organization) speaks of feeding babies only with breast milk up to 6 months, there are exceptions in which this is not enough for their nutrition and, therefore, specialists can recommend complementary feeding .
You should know that the food that the porridge for 5-month-old babies will include will basically be fruit. Some of them: apples, bananas or pears. The only ones that should be left for later because they can cause more allergies are strawberries and peaches.
You can also start introducing gluten-free cereals , such as rice, or some soft vegetables, such as carrots or pumpkins.
PORRIDGE RECIPES FOR BABIES OF 5 MONTHS
Our porridge recipes for 5-month-old babies will be very useful if your pediatrician (for whatever reason) has recommended that, apart from giving your baby breast milk, you should supplement his diet with other types of food.
The main ingredient at this age will be fruit, a food with great benefits that provides minerals, fiber, vitamins and carbohydrates to your baby. You can try to give your baby some fruit in small pieces, crushed and soft, or simply go as comfortable as possible and prepare some of the recipes that we suggest.
1. PEAR AND APPLE PORRIDGE
The first of the porridges for 5-month-old babies that we recommend includes two delicious fruits, the apple and the pear. To these will be added a touch of orange juice! Check out more at our site.
Guy: Afternoon snack
- 1/2 orange
- 1 money
- 1 apple
- The first step, whenever you prepare any porridge for your baby, will be to wash the fruits well, in this case the apple and the pear, and then peel them.
- Put the pear together with the apple in a small pot and add a little water. Then, turn on the fire at medium temperature.
- The apple will begin to soften progressively, and a kind of paste will be created. If you see that there is more water, and that it is left over, you can remove a little. It will be ready to remove from the fire.
- Transfer the porridge to a bowl, peel a half orange, and add the juice to the apple and pear. If you prefer it to be thicker, add the orange pulp and mash everything well.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
2. MULTIFRUIT PORRIDGE
Some of the first fruits that your baby can eat are orange, banana, apple and pear. For this reason, all of them together make a perfect combination for a proposal of porridge for 5-month-old babies.
Guy: Afternoon snack
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 1 money
- 1 apple
- Carefully wash the apple and pear, peel them and cut them into rather small pieces.
- Heat the previously cut pieces of apple and pear in a small saucepan accompanied by a little water.
- Keep it over medium heat until the fruits soften and a compote forms. Once it has that texture, turn off the heat and remove if there is any extra water left, remove it.
- Incorporate this mixture into a bowl.
- Peel the banana and, with the help of a blender, mash it well. When it is well crushed and without lumps, add it to the bowl with the apple and pear compote and stir well.
- Squeeze the juice from an orange and add that too. Stir everything, and the porridge is ready!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
3. LENTIL PORRIDGE WITH RICE
Normally, pediatricians do not recommend introducing legumes in the diet of babies until they are at least 9 months old. But some pediatricians consider that porridge can be prepared before that age if the legumes are easily digestible.
Why? Because they consider that they provide many nutrients. This food is rich in protein, complex carbohydrates, iron, zinc, magnesium, fiber, calcium and B vitamins .
When the baby is very small, it should not be abused, but a small amount can be added to pureed vegetables or cereals. And that we have done with this simple recipe.
- 1 potato
- 20g lentils (if possible red)
- 10g of rice
- Peel and chop the potato.
- Wash the rice and lentils.
- Put the ingredients in a pot and boil them with water.
- We cook for 20 minutes.
- We crush and pass through the food mill.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
4. CARROT, POTATO AND PEA PORRIDGE
- 35 grams of peas
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- Peel, wash and chop the potato and carrot.
- We put to cook with water, to strong fire.
- Let boil for 10 minutes and add the peas.
- Lower the heat and cook for half an hour, so that all the ingredients soften well.
- Drain and grind.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
If you have any doubts about whether or not your baby can eat the foods that we indicate in our porridge recipes for 5-month-old babies, do not hesitate to consult your pediatrician, who will know better than anyone what will be the most appropriate for your baby.