Since we have realized the benefits of oats , this cereal is very present in our diet. We normally consume it in flakes, in muesli or in processed cereals. But we also have oat bran , which at first glance may seem the same as oat flakes but it is not.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN OATS BRAN AND OATS
Next we will see the main differences between both products.
THEY ARE NOT EQUAL RESULTING PRODUCTS
To understand the differences between oat bran and oat flakes we will start by explaining that the bran is the outer layer of the grain, what remains after refining it. For its part, oat flakes are obtained after husking, grinding and pressing the grains.
ITS NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES VARY
In terms of nutritional properties, oat bran is very rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, proteins and unsaturated fats. Its proportion of fiber exceeds the amount of carbohydrates .
On the other hand, oat flakes contain more slow-absorbing carbohydrates. Thanks to this, they are more energetic, calm hunger better and the feeling of satiety lasts longer. Check out more at our site.
THE BENEFITS FOR THE BODY
Both products are beneficial for our body. In addition, you can incorporate them into your breakfasts , desserts , salads , smoothies , yogurts or creams.
Benefits of oat bran
This food is very good for regulating intestinal transit (without damaging the mucous membranes), at the same time that it provides the proteins, minerals and vitamins (especially from group B) that we need.
In addition, its fat content is very low and hardly any cholesterol. What’s more, it helps reduce it. It does contain more carbohydrates than other brans, but these are slow assimilation, so they have a satiating effect.
And very importantly, oat bran is suitable for diabetics.
However, it must be remembered that the phytates it contains can inhibit the absorption of minerals such as iron or calcium.
recapping. Oat bran offers a number of benefits:
– It is satiating, so it helps reduce the feeling of hunger.
– It is a healthy and natural food.
– It helps to lose weight, but not only because of what we have said in the previous point. In addition, it has the ability to absorb up to 20 times its volume of water in the stomach
– Helps lower cholesterol levels, and even prevent high cholesterol.
– Helps prevent diabetes , as it regulates blood sugar levels.
– Relieves constipation.
– Due to its high fiber content, it can help fight hemorrhoids.
The caloric intake of this product is 250 calories per 100 grams.
Benefits of oat flakes
For its part, oat flakes are ideal for obtaining energy and calming hunger. They also help reduce cholesterol levels thanks to their contribution of fiber, omega 3 fatty acids and essential amino acids.
– They are antioxidants
– They help lower blood pressure
– They improve the immune system
– They reduce the probability of suffering from type 2 diabetes
– They are expectorants
– They are a good ally for weight loss diets
Nutritionally speaking, oat flakes provide vitamins (B1, B5, B6 and E ), minerals (calcium, iron, iodine, zinc and phosphorus) and slow-absorbing carbohydrates.
TIPS TO MAKE BETTER USE OF OAT BRAN
As we have seen, oat bran helps regulate intestinal transit, but constipation could occur if we do not hydrate well. That is why it is advisable to consume it with plenty of liquid.
We must also be careful with the amount that we are going to eat, since an excess could cause gas, a swollen belly or even the intestine to become obstructed. The appropriate measure would be between 1 and 3 tablespoons a day.
OAT BRAN COOKIES RECIPE
Now that we know a little better what oat bran is, we propose a Facilisimo cookie recipe that can help you start to get acquainted with its flavor. For a couple of dozen we will need the following ingredients.
Guy: Afternoon snack
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of bitter cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon powder (to taste)
- Water (approximately a quarter cup)
- chocolate chips
- Stevia or other sweetener (to taste)
- We put the oven to preheat to 100 ºC.
- In a bowl, mix the bran with the cocoa powder.
- Beat the egg white and add it to the previous mixture. We remove.
- Add the water, stevia and vanilla essence. We mix well. If we see that the dough is too dry we can add a little more water or vegetable milk.
- Add the chocolate chips, leaving some to decorate. We mix.
- We shape the cookies. To do this we can make little balls and crush them with our hands.
- Once we have the cookies, place them in a baking dish lined with parchment paper, decorate with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 15 minutes at 100ºC.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before eating.
Preparation time: 30 minutes