In this article we inform you about porridge recipes for 4-month-old babies and we suggest some ideas so you can put them into practice.
The WHO (World Health Organization) recommends starting with complementary feeding of the baby, that is, giving him something else apart from breast milk , from 6 months of age.
That should be the general guideline. But, if before this time, breast milk is not enough for your baby’s nutrition, specialists may suggest supplementing their diet.
If that is your case and, we insist, only under the prescription of the pediatrician, you must be very careful with the foods you choose. For this reason, we propose some porridge recipes for 4-month-old babies .
When you have any questions regarding your baby’s diet , we recommend making an appointment with a pediatrician, and thus have personalized advice on your baby’s needs.
PORRIDGE FOR BABIES OF 4 MONTHS: WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED
Normally, other foods that are not breast milk are recommended only from 6 months . Porridge for 4-month-old babies will be useful if your pediatrician recommends you supplement your baby’s diet because breast milk is no longer enough.
The foods that you can include in porridge for 4-month-old babies are gluten-free cereals , such as corn and rice. This will avoid problems of intolerance and sensitization to this protein. Some of the cereals that contain gluten are oats, wheat, barley and rye. Check out more at our site.
As for fruits, which at this age should not replace breast milk, but complement it, they will constitute a good vitamin intake. The most appropriate thing is to introduce them one by one and separated by days, so you can check that your baby tolerates them and gets used to both their aroma and their taste. Start with fruits like apple, banana, pear or orange.
Are you going to introduce vegetables ? Start with the orange ones, such as carrots or pumpkin. Save the green beans or zucchini for later.
PORRIDGE RECIPES FOR BABIES OF 4 MONTHS
Remember that in this period your baby has not yet left the weaning stage, so the porridge will be special and you will have to pay attention to its ingredients.
You should not force your baby to finish eating all the porridge, with one or two tablespoons after breastfeeding it will be enough for him to recognize the food.
1. MILK AND RICE PORRIDGE
This is one of the best porridge recipes for 4-month-old babies. To make it you need:
- 1 cup of infant milk or formula
- 1/2 cup of rice
- The first step to make this porridge for 4-month-old babies will be to boil the rice in 1/2 cup of water.
- Once it is boiled, you must put the rice in the blender glass.
- Later you must add the infant milk or formula gradually to get a creamy porridge.
- Once you have achieved the right consistency, serve it or store it in the fridge to use when your baby is hungry.
2. BANANA PORRIDGE
- 1 very ripe banana
- breast milk or formula
- First, cut the banana into small slices and, with the help of a fork, mash it well.
- When a homogeneous mixture has formed, you should add the breast milk or formula.
- If it is thicker than you wanted, you can add more milk.
3. PORRIDGE FOR 4-MONTH-OLD BABIES: GLUTEN-FREE CEREALS AND APPLE
- 1 small spoon of gluten-free cereal
- 1/2 apple
- 60 ml of water
- 3 tablespoons of follow-on milk
- First, you must wash the apple well, peel it and cut it in half.
- Remove the seeds and cut it into smaller pieces.
- In a small saucepan, heat the water over low heat.
- Once it has heated up (not too much), transfer the water to a bowl, add the follow-on milk and mix well.
- With the help of a blender, mash the apple well. Ideally, it should be a very fine puree.
- Finally, add the apple that you have crushed to the bowl with the milk and water mixed, and add the tablespoon of gluten-free cereals. Mix well, and it’s ready to eat!
4. SWEET POTATO AND PUMPKIN PUREE
- 1 boniato
- 60 grams of pumpkin
- 2 carrots
- Peel and chop the vegetables.
- Boil with a little water until soft (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and grind.
5. PUMPKIN AND CARROT PUREE
- 70 grams of pumpkin.
- 1 carrot.
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes.
- Peel the carrot and cut it into slices.
- Cook the vegetables in water for half an hour.
- We crush.
Ready to make these porridge recipes for 4-month-old babies? Now that you know, you can start now.