Making glazed donuts may seem like a laborious recipe, but it really isn’t. The recipe for homemade donuts is really simple, especially if we have a mixer, because the only job we have is to knead. If you do not have one, you will have to knead by hand, but the result is well worth it.
The glaze for donuts , which is one of the strengths of these popular buns, is very simple. If you want to make classic donuts you have to prepare the glaze only with icing sugar and milk .
In this case we have gone a little further, decorating our apple-shaped donuts with a red glaze: it only has icing sugar, red food coloring and red balls of sugar, to decorate salty sticks and the leaves are wafers in the shape of a leaf (You will find them in large surfaces).
- 30g margarine or butter
- 300 g strong flour
- 220 g harina normal
- 100g white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 30g fresh yeast
- 210 g warm milk
- 1 room temperature egg
Ingredients for icing
- 6 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Red colorant
- red sugar balls
- salty pretzel sticks
- Sheet-shaped wafers
How to make glazed donuts
We prepare the dough for homemade donuts
- In a bowl, pour all the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add the milk little by little while kneading with an electric mixer or with our hands. Later we add the beaten egg and continue kneading.
- Finally, add the margarine and knead until you get a soft, elastic and lump-free dough. The approximate time of kneading by machine is 10 minutes, by hand it will take about 15 minutes. At first the dough will stick to your hands, DO NOT add more flour, you will see how little by little the dough becomes more elastic and less sticky.
- Form a ball and let it rest in a bowl brushed with a little sunflower oil, also brush the dough on top and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 3 hours, you will see how it triples its volume.
- We remove the dough from the bowl and put it on our work surface, knead again to degas the dough and stretch with a rolling pin until we get a sheet approximately 1cm thick. We are cutting the donuts well with the mold that is there to cut donuts or with a glass the large circle and the small one with a plug of water.
- Arrange the donuts on parchment paper, brush the donuts with a little olive oil so they don’t dry out and let them double their volume, approximately 45 minutes.
- Heat plenty of sunflower oil in a saucepan, cut the baking paper to make it easier to put them in the oil, fry each donut for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, it has to be golden, not burn, be very careful because from the golden to the burned is a matter of a couple of seconds.
- Drain the donuts on kitchen paper and let them cool before glazing.
Glaze for donuts
- Pour the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Little by little we add milk until we get a dense texture but not excessively, you can see how the texture of our frosting was in the photograph.
Donut decoration with colored icing
- Add red food coloring, mix well and coat half of each donut.
- Let the donuts rest on a rack.
- Let’s pour the red balls of sugar and wait for the coating to dry.
- Decorate each donut with a salty stick and a leaf-shaped wafer.
Tips for making glazed donuts
- A good kneading is important so that the homemade donuts come out fluffy, also you should NOT add more flour than that indicated in the recipe, the dough will stick to your hands but it is normal, that is how it should be for the donuts to come out fluffy, you will see The more you knead the dough, the less it will stick and the easier it will be to work with.
- You have to add the red balls immediately after bathing the donuts in the glaze, otherwise they will not stick.
You might be interested in the followings:-
- Baked courgettes stuffed with chicken, vegetables and cheese
- Fish Cake With mashed potatoes for kids at Pet Pooja.